House of Lords Select Committee Report on AI
The House of Lords Select Committee Report on AI
Electrification had many consequences: unprecedented opportunities for economic development, new risks of injury and death by electrocution, and debates over models of control, ownership and access, to name just a few. We can expect a similar process as AI technology continues to spread through our societies.
AI is a tool which is already deeply embedded in our lives. The prejudices of the past must not be unwittingly built into automated systems, and such systems must be carefully designed from the beginning. Access to large quantities of data is the factor fuelling the current AI boom.
This House of Lords Select Committee report is the single most comprehensive review of the AI field, gathering evidence from 172 leading experts and concluding with five overarching principles for AI.
- Artificial intelligence should be developed for the common good and benefit of humanity.
- Artificial intelligence should operate on principles of intelligibility and fairness.
- Artificial intelligence should not be used to diminish the data rights or privacy of individuals, families or communities.
- All citizens have the right to be educated to enable them to flourish mentally, emotionally and economically alongside artificial intelligence.
- The autonomous power to hurt, destroy or deceive human beings should never be vested in artificial intelligence.
This is a must read for anyone wanting to stay apace with these rapid advances. Download the report here.